Sunday, June 16, 2013

Weekly 3x3: 16-Jun-2013

Howdy, y'all. I'm starting up a new weekly post called Weekly 3x3 where I share and talk briefly about what albums I've been jamming for the past week. I've only chosen 9 albums because it's close enough to 10 and square/ rectangular layouts are the only thing this site can do. So yeah.

I'm thinking of posting it every Sunday, just because it's usually the day I have the most off in the week. I also just want to say, albums I review aren't included, unless I end up listening to them a bunch after my review is up. Here's this week's:


Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon: Southern sludgy doom made for headbanging and whiskey drinking. It took me a while to get into Weedeater, but now I can't get enough of Dixie Dave's raspy growls :and mind-bending bass riffage.

Isis - The Red Sea EP: I bought this on vinyl before ever listening to Isis before. It was a risky buy, but I've only ever heard great things about all their albums, so I decided to take the plunge, and it was totally worth it. The Red Sea is some heavy as fuck post-metal and is a must-listen for anyone who is into atmospheric and totally engulfing music without much vocal work.

Kanye West - Yeezus: It took me a couple listens to warm up to Yeezus. As underwhelming as it is (compared to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, at least), for some reason I can't help but keep jamming this record. It's dark and simple, but still pretty powerful. Check it out if you can. It officially drops this Tuesday.

Minor Threat - Complete Discography: I don't even have to explain this. Blast some Minor Threat and start circle pitting!

Nails - Abandon All Life: Grindcore/ hardcore done right. It's a short, brutal album that I haven't been able to stop spinning since I first heard it. Kurt Ballou is a studio wizard with this album's production. Hard. As. Fuck.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of us is the Killer: Any Dillinger is good Dillinger. Get wrecked with this year's most unfuckwithable album.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories: There was so much hype for this album, what when it finally dropped, I was a little disappointed. After realizing that I was a wet blanket, I opened up to RAM, seeing it as it really is: a simple, awesome dance record. It's tons of fun and has some seriously infectious grooves and hooks. Highly recommended, but don't go in expecting the usual Daft Punk house music.

Baroness - Blue Record: This is a modern classic in sludge/ progressive metal. Definitely my favorite Baroness release by far. It was raining like crazy earlier this week, and Blue Record fit perfectly with the torrential downpour on the way to and from work.

Foxy Shazam - The Church of Rock and Roll: Opposite to Blue Record, this album makes for some of the best summer driving music there is! Luckily, the past few days have been beautiful, so I've been jamming this with my windows down for everyone to hear.

That's all for now, folks -- that's been my week! What have you guys been listening to?

-DG

2 comments:

  1. Duuude, listen to Panopticon or Oceanic for Isis. Sooooo good. really enjoying Yeezus right now too. I was maybe the slightest bit underwhelmed with it on first listen, but it would've been really really hard to beat MBDTF. Production is so solid on Yeezus too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely check out those Isis albums, thanks!

      Delete